To describe the procedure for inactivation of animal serum.
- Record inactivation details and serum vendor lot number, catalog number and volume in laboratory notebook.
- Thaw bottle of serum overnight at room temperature (15 - 30 °C).
- The next day, heat water in waterbath to 56 °C +/- 1°. This is approximately setting 5 on the dial.
- Mix the bottle of serum by inversion and place in waterbath for 30 minutes. Water level should be sufficient to come within one inch of serum level in bottle.
- Remove bottle after 30 minute incubation and allow to cool for one hour at room temperature (15 - 30 °C).
- Aseptically aliquot to sterile 50 ml centrifuge tubes 25 ml per tube. Label with contents, heat inactivation lot number and 5 year expiration date.
- Store at -20 °C.