To describe the preparation of 25X Phosphate Buffered Saline (PBS) for use as a general diluent.
- Per liter of 25X PBS to be made, measure the following:
- 6.5 g Sodium Phosphate Monobasic, monohydrate
- 28.75 g Sodium Phosphate Dibasic, anhydrous
- 225 g Sodium Chloride
- 0.1 g Thimerosal
- Place the measured components into a container appropriate for the batch size.
- Per liter of 25X PBS to be made, add 950 ml deionized water to the container.
- Add a stir bar, place container on stir plate and stir for approximately four hours at room temperature until all solids are dissolved.
- Standardize pH meter at pH 4 and pH 7.
- Measure pH of 25X PBS while stirring. pH should be pH 5.9 - 6.2.
- Place in closed container and label with contents and batch number (date).
- Store at room temperature up to one year.